Thursday, January 21, 2016

Update on Rod #421602

      Progress As Of Today

Here is a photo of a couple of  rods after three coats of varnish. Deciding now whether or not to add a fourth. I'll give a couple days to tighten up and then decide if I like the look. Keep in mind that the gloss has not been rubbed out. My rods don't have this much shine to them when complete. There is a polishing process that takes a lot of the plastic look out of the finish. Not quite a matte finish but not this much shine. The tips have one coat each and will be done this week. After that, it has to dry pretty good before it can be rubbed out.




These rods will be available when complete.

Rod #421602

This rod is being made to order. It is based on a Payne 98. Same rod that I showed being started in the last post. Today the strips were heat treated. I use a heat gun oven for this. This step helps remove moisture from the bamboo as well straightening the strips and evening out the color.




Here are the strips after the enamel was removed and they have been heat treated. The piece of Spanish Cedar will be the reel seat spacer for this rod as requested.




The reel seat spacer was also turned today. The mortise has been cut into it to fit the reel seat. It has its first of several coats of finish. 



Still working on My 7' 10" Four weight. Need that done next not only for spring hatches, but for a demo rod. I believe this will be very popular. I do have other versions of this rod, although the changes on the latest version make this the one I want people to cast.

Thanks for looking as always.









No comments:

Post a Comment