Friday, June 3, 2016

Putting The Node-less Five Weight To The Test

Smallmouth Bass On The Fly

I went out today with the node-less hollow scalloped Five weight to put it to the test. There is a stream near by that has some very large Smallmouth Bass in it. I figured throwing some small poppers at Bass that can weight up to Four pounds and sometimes beyond would be a great way to see what this node-less rod was made of. It passed with flying colors.

Do I recommend throwing small poppers to very large Bass on a Five weight? No. I just wanted to put it through its paces. The rod threw small poppers very well to be honest. I used it with TT5 floater today. It landed the large Bass as well as could be expected for a medium fast bamboo fly rod. 

Did I mention they love to eat poppers? Nothing better than that.

I am very happy with everything about this rod. It worked out great for fishing our larger spring creeks with dry flies and it can definitely handle small streamers and bigger fish. Thats what I was looking for.

Didn't get a lot of photos because I would rather fish when the fishing is good. When the sun came up  high the bite stopped. Great morning though. Here are some good examples of the size of the fish. Some were larger and some smaller. All fought and jumped well.

Smallmouth Bass






Thanks for looking as always.







No comments:

Post a Comment