Thursday, December 3, 2015

Starting another rod

     Today I started a new rod for an order I received. This will be the second rod I have built to leave the U.S. It is just awesome to be able to send a product that I have made by hand to another angler in another part of the world. I hope it will catch many fish and serve the new owner well.

I picked out the cane for this rod today. It will be a 7' Four weight. The same rod that went off to Italy. It will be wrapped in the same colors with the identical reel seat timber.

Here are some photos of the beginning of the build.


Removing the dams inside the cane before flaming.


Picture of the cane after flaming.


Strips are split and ready for the next steps in the process.

I also turned the 4 1/2" grip for the 6' 2/3 weight today. It is now ready to wrap. This rod will have a winding check. It will make a better transition from the cork to the cane. The diameter of the cane at the cork is under .250. Predrilled cork rings have a bore of .250.


Here is a shot of the 6'3" Four weight and the 6' Two/Three weight. The Four is almost dry enough to rub out the varnish.


Thanks for taking time to look.








No comments:

Post a Comment